Youth Services Programs
From lapsit storytime for infants to the Teen Advisory Board – the Youth Services department offers programs for children and teens of all ages! Read about our programs here, and then head over to our Events Calendar to see when the programs are available.
June 11 – August 18, 2018
This summer, readers are ROCKIN’ at the Lower Macungie Library!
Children (ages 2 – entering 6th grade) who live in the East Penn School District may register for our program. It’s easy to get started:
- Register – either online or at the library
- Grab a copy of your Reading & Activity Log – either download one, or pick up a paper copy in the library.
- Have fun – each week, do at least 5 of the listed activities, and color each square when you are done.
- Record the total number of minutes you have read in the Rockin’ Readers column.
- Bring your completed log to the library one time during the listed week and earn a spin of the prize wheel, a participation bead, and one raffle ticket for our summer prize baskets.
- When you get to the library, make sure you fill out a Rockin’ Readers Record with your total minutes read for the week!
- Rockin’ Readers who complete 60 minutes (or more!) of reading will be listed as one of our Chart Toppers for the week, and will also earn an entry into our special Rockin’ Readers Raffle (an extra special prize awarded at the end of the summer).
- Attend some of the great events we have planned this summer! From family concerts to drum circles and dance parties – we have it all! Check out our events calendar for a full listing, or download a paper copy to keep at home.
The fun begins on June 11, 2018! Pre-registration is available online or during our Summer Preview Day on Saturday, June 9th. Participants may earn one prize per week during the program period. The Reading Log must be shown to library staff in order to claim a prize. If you are unable to visit the library during a listed week, no prize will be awarded for that week. Weekly prize check-ins must be completed by 4:30 pm on Saturday for each week. The final day to turn in reading logs and collect prizes is Saturday, August 18, 2018. No prizes will be awarded after this date.
General Program Information
Children’s Ages: Many of our programs feature activities intended for a specific age group, and we advertise the specific age range accepted for each program. We use the East Penn School District’s kindergarten cut-off date of September 12th to guide our program age levels. For example, if your child turned 2 on August 13th, 2017, then your child would register for the Terrific Twos Storytime program. If your child turned two on October 3, 2017, then your child would attend the Books & Babies Storytime program. These age guidelines are in effect for the entire school year so that our classes may grow and mature together as the year progresses.
Registration: Some programs allow for walk-in participation; however, many of our programs require advance registration. This allows us to ensure that your child has a reserved seat and materials for our program. Library staff reserves the right to limit a program to those who have preregistered. Residents of Lower Macungie Township and Alburtis Borough may register for programs as soon as online registration becomes available. Open Registration for the general public is available 2 weeks prior to the start date.
Adults & Programs: All storytime programs are designed to be for both a child and adult caregiver; therefore, adults must accompany children to storytime programs. Programs for children in grades K-5 usually take place in our Youth Services program room. Children attend these programs without their adult caregiver in the room; however, an adult is required to stay in the library while the child is in the program. If your child has special needs and requires accommodations or special assistance during a program, please contact the Youth Services Director to make arrangements prior to the start of the program.
If you have questions about our Youth Services programs that are not addressed on this page, please use the contact form on the Parents page or call the library at 610-966-6864.